Three suspected militants killed in city’s Nakhalpara
Published : Saturday, 13 January, 2018 at 12:00 AM Count : 109
Three suspected militants were killed in a predawn raid in Dhaka's Nakhalpara on Friday.
Members of the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) recovered three bodies from Rubi Villa, a six-storey building.
The raid was carried out on the building, approximately 100 yards away from the Prime Minister's Office (PMO), said RAB officials.
"The three dead were members of the banned outfit Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB). They are aged between 25 and 27 years," Director of Rab's Legal and Media Wing Mufti Mahmud Khan said at a press briefing at Nakhalpara.
He, however, said the identities of the dead were yet to be confirmed but according to their intelligence report all three were JMB men. The 61 residents of the nine other flats were taken to the landlord's flat on the first floor. Law enforcers are now interrogating them for information on the terror suspects, said Mufti Mahmud Khan.
Mufti said: "Acting on a tip-off, we cordoned off the six-storey building named 'Ruby Villa'. We asked the militants to surrender but they did not."
He said the militants opened fire on the RAB officials and also hurled grenades. In retaliation, the elite force members fired back. "They died in the firing. Two of our officials were also injured in the incident."
Speaking to the media after the raid ended on Thursday afternoon, he said other residents of the six-storey building were safe.
Benazir Ahmed, Director General (DG) of the RAB, while talking to the media after visiting the hideout on Friday morning said the fourth floor of the building was raided on intelligence inputs that some militants were hiding in the area.
A shootout erupted with the suspects, he said, adding that grenades were hurled at their men. Benazir said the militants turned on the gas and kept a grenade next to it so that there would be a massive explosion when there is any firing. "However, their plan failed. If executed, it would have created massive destruction."
Benazir said a handgun, explosives and two IEDs (improvised explosive devices) were found inside the apartment used by the suspects. The terror suspects were found dead inside a room of one of the two flats on the fourth floor, said the RAB DG.
"One of them was wearing a suicide vest. An IED was spotted under one of the bodies. It seems they were aiming for a large-scale explosion as another IED was found on the gas-stove in the kitchen."
He said two national IDs, with the same picture but different names were found in the room with the bodies. "One ID is in the name of Jahid and the other in the name of Shajib. We will look into whether they are fakes."
According to the RAB, the tenants moved in the flat on Jan 4.
Local resident Adbul Barek, who works at a nearby butcher shop, said the building's owner was one Sabbir Rahman and described the family as 'not so social'. He said a caretaker was responsible for the building's maintenance.
The Police Headquarters circulated a list of nearly 5,000-suspected militants to all district police chiefs in 2017. Since then, the law enforcers have been carrying out special drives in different areas to apprehend the militants.