Sylhet: Muhit Alam, one of the prime accused in the Rajon killing case, confessed to his crime before a local court on Wednesday.
Judge Anwarul Haque of the Metropolitan Magistrate Court-3 recorded the statement of Muhit under section 164 in the afternoon.
In his confessional statement, Muhit told the court that he was not there at the spot when Rajon was being tortured, said court sources.
He, however, said when Moyna Miah Choukidar and others requested him to take Rajon to hospital, he agreed to the call.
But they planned to dump the body of the boy after he succumbed to his injuries, Muhit said, adding that locals caught him while dumping it.
Assistant commissioner (DB) of Sylhet Metropolitan Police Gopi Chakrawarty said Muhit confessed to his involvement in Rajon killing.
Earlier, Moyna and Nur Miah who took the video footage of the torture made their confessional statements before the court.
Meanwhile, Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan said investigation is going on the negligence of duty by police and bribe taking over the Rajon murder.
“Actions will be taken against the responsible policemen following the probe report,” he said while talking to reporters after visiting the house of Rajon.
Observing that no one of those involved in the gruesome murder would be spared, he said Kamrul Islam who was arrested in Saudi Arabia would be brought back home soon to stand trial.
Asaduzzaman went to Rajon’s house at Badeali village in Sadar upazila at noon to console his father and mother.
On July 8, 13-year-old boy Sheikh Samiul Alam Rajon, son of Sheikh Azizur Rahman, was tortured to death over a theft incident at Sundar Ali Market in Kumargaon area of the city.
The killers themselves took the video footage of the incident and uploaded it on the internet. The video clip went viral on social networking site Facebook and video-sharing site Youtube which triggered a widespread outcry.
Nine people have so far been arrested in connection with the gruesome murder.