14 killed in Mumbai building collapse
Published : Tuesday, 28 June, 2022 at 8:18 PM Count : 606
Fourteen people were killed and 13 others injured after a four-storey building collapsed in India's Mumbai on Monday night.
Those who suffered injuries were rushed to the government-run Rajawadi and Sion hospitals, authorities said. Two men were declared dead at Rajawadi hospital and the third succumbed to injuries at Sion hospital, NDTV reports.
Shiv Sena leader Aaditya Thackeray reached the spot last night and took stock of the rescue operation underway, which is being undertaken by the fire department and the National Disaster Response Fund team.
Maharashtra Minister Subhash Desai has said that the family of the dead will be given ₹ 5 lakh each while the injured will get free treatment.
"Rs 5 lakh to be given to the family of the dead and the injured will be given free treatment. The incident will be investigated and action will be taken against those responsible. A meeting has been called to ensure that such an incident doesn't happen again," said Subhash Desai.
Former local corporator Praveena Morajkar said that the residents of the building, along with three others in the area, had been served notices to evacuate the building, however those that were staying on rent did not leave.