
Thirty Bangladeshi youths who went to Russia for jobs have been forced into the Russian army, according to members of their families. They say the men were promised well-paid jobs but were later sent to the Russia-Ukraine war zone after being handed over to the Russian military by brokers. Three months after their arrival in Russia, most of the families still do not know where their relatives are or whether they are alive.
One of the men, Adnan Hossain of Painadi in Siddhirganj, Narayanganj, was seriously injured in a Ukrainian drone attack. He is now receiving treatment at a hospital in Moscow. His family says he has already undergone three operations to remove shrapnel from his body.
Adnan went to Russia on May 7 after his family checked the documents of the company that was supposed to employ him. He had earlier returned to Bangladesh after working in Saudi Arabia. He hoped to move to Italy or another European country. Instead, according to his family, he was taken to Russia after being promised a high-paying job.
His mother, Papia Akter, said Adnan and 29 other Bangladeshis were allegedly handed over to the Russian army in exchange for money.
"They were taken to Russia for jobs. Later, they were given some basic training and sent to the war," she said.
According to the families, the men's passports and other documents were taken away from them. They were then given Russian military clothing and sent towards the Russia-Ukraine border.
Adnan was injured in a drone attack and reportedly remained badly wounded for three days before being taken to a military hospital. He was later moved to a hospital in Moscow, where doctors operated on him three times.
His family later learned about his condition through doctors at the hospital. The family also contacted the Bangladesh embassy in Russia. They said embassy officials initially tried to visit him but could not enter the hospital. They later managed to reach him with the help of former Russian military personnel.
The families are also worried about two other young men from Siddhirganj-- Robin Mia and Kazi Rezaul Karim.
Robin, who used to drive an auto-rickshaw, went to Russia after taking on a large debt. His wife, Peyara Begum said he called her some time ago and asked her to pray for him. She has not heard from him since then.
"I do not know whether my husband is alive," she said. Robin has two children and his family has a debt of around Tk 10 lakh.
Rezaul Karim had previously worked in Dubai. He returned to Bangladesh and got married about seven months before leaving for Russia. His wife, Munni Begum said the family has no information about him.
Families of Rajon Hossain from Kaliganj in Jhenaidah, Al Mamun from Nandail in Mymensingh, Tariqul Islam Mintu from Monirampur in Jashore, Said Molla and Sohel from Nawabganj in Dhaka, Nazrul Islam, Aminur Islam and Pabitra Chandra from Gopalpur in Tangail, Abu Hanif from Kishoreganj Sadar, Roni from Gopalganj Sadar, Sourav Molla from Balakair in Gopalganj, Palash Sheikh from Ghosherchar in Gopalganj, Arif Hossain Patwary from Chandpur, Mofiz and Arif Hossain from Madarganj in Jamalpur, Arman Ali from Jamalpur Sadar, Sabbir Hossain from Satkhira Sadar, Wasim Akram from Shibganj in Chapainawabganj, Al Amin Islam and Abdullah Al Mamun from Patgram in Lalmonirhat, Helal Sheikh from Bhanga in Faridpur, Kamal Hossain from Madaripur Sadar, Ripon Hossain from Gazipur Sadar and Ali Hossain from Goalanda in Rajbari are also seeking information about their relatives.
The families say they paid large amounts of money to recruitment agencies and brokers. In some cases, they reportedly paid between Tk 30 lakh and Tk 40 lakh.
The government has already taken action against three recruiting agencies, R S International, Jabal-e-Nur and TS Overseas Limited over the alleged recruitment and sending of the 30 Bangladeshis to Russia. Their licences have reportedly been cancelled and their deposits seized.
The families have appealed to Prime Minister Tarique Rahman and other government authorities to take urgent steps to bring the 30 men home.