বাংলা E-Paper 📍 Dhaka 📅 Thursday | 20 August 2026, 5 Bhadro 1433
HEADLINE
Advertisement

Trump maps Hormuz as ‘new US territory’, Iran claims control of Strait 

Published : Thursday, 20 August, 2026 at 12:00 AM
WASHINGTON, Aug 19: US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that no talks with Iran are under way or scheduled, as he posted a map showing the Strait of Hormuz as a new American territory in a fresh jibe at Tehran, which has claimed control of crucial energy waterway.

Iran reiterated that the strategic Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the United States meets Tehran’s demands, including lifting a naval blockade.

Trump has been pressing his threat to claim sovereignty over the strait as the nearly six-month-old war grinds on with little sign of resolution.

Trump’s envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner said on Monday that the US and Iran were having “very positive and active conversations”, but the president denied that was the case.

Earlier on Tuesday, Trump posted a map on Truth Social showing the Strait of Hormuz as “NEW US Territory”.

Iran has effectively shut down the chokepoint, through which a fifth of the world’s oil transits, in retaliation for the war Trump started along with Israel in late February.

Since returning to power in 2025, Trump has threatened to make Canada the 51st US state, seize Greenland and Cuba, and has even alluded to taking control of the Gaza Strip, without following through on any of these threats.

‘No opening of Hormuz’

Before the Iran war erupted on February 28, the Strait of Hormuz was an open, international waterway.

Iran says it will not reopen the strait until Washington meets a sweeping list of demands including ending the US blockade of Iran’s ports, lifting oil sanctions, freeing up frozen Iranian assets and paying war damages.

“I want to state clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American commitments stipulated in the memorandum of understanding… are implemented,” Iran’s top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said in a speech broadcast on state television.�"DAWN


Loading...
Loading...
Editor : Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury
Published by the Editor on behalf of the Observer Ltd. from Globe Printers, 24/A, New Eskaton Road, Ramna, Dhaka.
Editorial, News and Commercial Offices : Aziz Bhaban (2nd floor), 93, Motijheel C/A, Dhaka-1000.

Phone: PABX- 41053001-06; Advertisement: 41053012; 01793317829, 01550707291, E-mail: [email protected], ‍[email protected] Online: email: [email protected] 41053014; 01550707297 Advertisement: 01550707296
🔝