বাংলা E-Paper 📍 Dhaka 📅 Wednesday | 19 August 2026, 4 Bhadro 1433
HEADLINE
Advertisement

ICT seeks Interpol red notice for ex-Army chief Aziz Ahmed

Published : Wednesday, 19 August, 2026 at 12:00 AM
Staff Correspondent
The prosecution team of the International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) has initiated the process of seeking an Interpol Red Notice against former army chief Gen (retd) Aziz Ahmed in a crimes against humanity case over the killings during the Hefazat-e-Islam rally at Shapla Chattar in Motijheel in 2013.

It asked Bangladesh's National Central Bureau (NCB) to take steps to secure an Interpol red notice against former army chief Gen (retd) Aziz Ahmed.

The prosecution on Sunday sent a letter requesting NCB for necessary steps to obtain the Red Notice, Chief Prosecutor Md Aminul Islam confirmed the development on Tuesday.

He said it was the first attempt to bring back a fugitive accused in the Shapla Chattar killings case through Interpol.

“We have learnt that General (retd) Aziz Ahmed has fled to the United Kingdom or the United States of America. We believe we can bring him back through Interpol and put him on trial,” Aminul said. He said similar steps would later be taken to bring back other accused persons staying abroad.

Aziz is among 30 fugitive accused in the Shapla Chattar killings case, for whom the tribunal has recently issued arrest warrants.

A total of 41 people, including deposed prime minister Sheikh Hasina, have been accused in the crimes against humanity case.

According to the prosecution, at least 58 people were killed between May 5 and 6, 2013, during the Hefazat-e-Islam rally at Shapla Chattar in Motijheel and in Narayanganj.

Last month, ICT-2 accepted formal charges of genocide and crimes against humanity against former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, two journalists and 38 others in connection with the 2013 crackdown.

The tribunal subsequently issued arrest warrants against 30 absconding accused, including Aziz.

The chief prosecutor said his office had earlier taken steps to seek an Interpol red notice against former inspector general of police Benazir Ahmed, who is also an accused in the case.



Loading...
Loading...
Editor : Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury
Published by the Editor on behalf of the Observer Ltd. from Globe Printers, 24/A, New Eskaton Road, Ramna, Dhaka.
Editorial, News and Commercial Offices : Aziz Bhaban (2nd floor), 93, Motijheel C/A, Dhaka-1000.

Phone: PABX- 41053001-06; Advertisement: 41053012; 01793317829, 01550707291, E-mail: [email protected], ‍[email protected] Online: email: [email protected] 41053014; 01550707297 Advertisement: 01550707296
🔝