বাংলা E-Paper 📍 Dhaka 📅 Thursday | 20 August 2026, 5 Bhadro 1433
HEADLINE
Advertisement

Israel to probe Gaza attacks as ceasefire hangs in balance

Published : Thursday, 20 August, 2026 at 11:01 AM
Observer Online Desk
X

The Israeli military said Wednesday it would launch criminal investigations into the deaths of 5-year-old Palestinian girl Hind Rajab and her family, as well as 15 Palestinian paramedics killed in separate incidents during the Gaza war.

The decision followed a review of 150 cases involving the conduct of Israeli troops during the conflict. However, the military said it would not open criminal investigations into three other incidents involving the deaths of aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.

Rajab was killed in February 2024 when Israeli forces fired on a vehicle carrying her, her aunt, uncle and four cousins as they attempted to escape Gaza City during an Israeli military operation. The incident drew widespread international condemnation.

In another case, 15 Palestinian paramedics were killed in March 2025 after Israeli troops opened fire on their emergency vehicles in Rafah. The bodies were later bulldozed into a mass grave. Phone footage and testimony from the lone survivor indicated that troops first fired on an ambulance sent to evacuate casualties and later attacked other emergency vehicles searching for it.

Australia criticizes decision over aid workers

Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong expressed strong anger Thursday over Israel's decision not to pursue criminal charges in the deaths of seven World Central Kitchen workers, including Australian national Zomi Frankcom.

Wong said Australian officials were notified of the decision only shortly before it was made public, leaving them unable to inform Frankcom's family in advance.

She said several questions remained unanswered, including why the aid convoy was struck three times despite operating in a designated humanitarian area and why a senior brigade officer involved in the operation had signed a letter calling for restrictions on aid entering Gaza.

Australia also had not received drone footage from the incident despite repeatedly requesting it, Wong said.

She argued that removing two officers from their posts and reprimanding three others did not amount to adequate accountability for the deaths.

Wong had earlier summoned Israel's ambassador to Canberra, Hillel Newman, but said Australia would not expel him because diplomatic engagement remained important.

Newman expressed sympathy for Frankcom's family but stopped short of apologizing for her death. He defended the military's findings, saying the decision followed two years of independent investigation.

Israeli strikes kill 10 in Gaza

At least 10 Palestinians were killed Wednesday in two Israeli airstrikes in Gaza, according to local hospitals and the Palestinian Red Crescent.

The strikes raised further concerns over efforts by the United States to revive a fragile ceasefire. Two days after U.S. negotiators reportedly urged Israel to reduce attacks in Gaza, Israeli troops allegedly crossed the ceasefire line in southern Gaza and detained a Hamas police colonel, according to witnesses and a Hamas official.

Iranian parliament speaker visits Iraq

Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf arrived in Iraq for a three-day visit, where he is expected to meet senior Iraqi officials and leaders of an Iran-backed political alliance.

Qalibaf praised Iran-aligned Iraqi militias, calling them an important part of Iraq's national strength. His remarks came as Baghdad continues efforts to bring the militias under greater state control.

Iraq has also asked Iran to provide special arrangements for its oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz, which has been heavily disrupted by the Iran-U.S. war. Iraq depends on oil revenues for about 90% of its government budget and has been forced to use more costly alternative export routes.

France, Iran expel diplomats

France said it would expel two employees of Iran's embassy in Paris in retaliation for Tehran's expulsion of two French diplomats earlier this week.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot accused Iranian authorities of failing to investigate what he described as a deliberate attack on French diplomatic personnel last month. He rejected Iranian allegations that the two French diplomats had attended a secret meeting involving people suspected of foreign interference, calling the claims fabricated.

The two Iranian diplomats are expected to leave France in the coming days.


Loading...
Loading...
Editor : Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury
Published by the Editor on behalf of the Observer Ltd. from Globe Printers, 24/A, New Eskaton Road, Ramna, Dhaka.
Editorial, News and Commercial Offices : Aziz Bhaban (2nd floor), 93, Motijheel C/A, Dhaka-1000.

Phone: PABX- 41053001-06; Advertisement: 41053012; 01793317829, 01550707291, E-mail: [email protected], ‍[email protected] Online: email: [email protected] 41053014; 01550707297 Advertisement: 01550707296
🔝