বাংলা E-Paper 📍 Dhaka 📅 Sunday | 23 August 2026, 8 Bhadro 1433
HEADLINE
Advertisement

Over 50 sites hit in coordinated arson attacks in Thailand

Published : Sunday, 23 August, 2026 at 6:54 PM
Observer Online Report
X


More than 50 locations were targeted in coordinated arson and petrol bomb attacks in Thailand’s conflict-hit southern provinces, the country’s military said on Sunday.

The attacks targeted government and private properties and injured at least two people, according to the BBC. Local government buildings, shops, a stolen vehicle and telecommunications towers were among the targets.

Thailand’s Internal Security Operations Command said the attacks took place between 8:00 PM and midnight on Saturday in the southern border provinces.

Most of the incidents were reported in Narathiwat, with several others in neighbouring Yala and Pattani provinces. The Bangkok Post reported that two women were injured in a bomb blast in Mueang district of Narathiwat.

Authorities imposed a night-time curfew in Narathiwat to contain the situation, but lifted it on Sunday morning. No fresh attacks were reported on Sunday.

Security officials warned residents not to touch any suspicious objects. No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks so far.

Thailand’s Muslim-majority southern provinces have faced a long-running separatist insurgency since 2004. More than 7,000 people have been killed in the violence, according to reports.

The Barisan Revolusi Nasional, an armed separatist group, has been involved in the insurgency. Peace talks began in 2013 with Malaysian mediation but have repeatedly stalled due to political changes in Bangkok and disagreements between the parties.

Last month, five soldiers were killed in a gun and bomb attack on a checkpoint in Narathiwat. The incident led authorities to suspend scheduled peace talks.

Thai media reported that armed insurgents frequently target security personnel and government facilities, sometimes ahead of visits by government officials.

Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and members of his cabinet are scheduled to visit Hat Yai in southern Songkhla province next week for two days to discuss investment projects, flood prevention and security.

SKS


Loading...
Loading...
Editor : Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury
Published by the Editor on behalf of the Observer Ltd. from Globe Printers, 24/A, New Eskaton Road, Ramna, Dhaka.
Editorial, News and Commercial Offices : Aziz Bhaban (2nd floor), 93, Motijheel C/A, Dhaka-1000.

Phone: PABX- 41053001-06; Advertisement: 41053012; 01793317829, 01550707291, E-mail: [email protected], ‍[email protected] Online: email: [email protected] 41053014; 01550707297 Advertisement: 01550707296
🔝