Law, Justice and Parlia-mentary Affairs Minister Md Asaduzzaman said that a new president will be elected in the next parliamentary session scheduled for September, ruling out the possibility of convening a special session of parliament for the purpose.
He made the remarks while responding to journalists’ questions at the CIRDAP auditorium in the capital on Saturday.
The minister said that the constitutional deadline provides sufficient time to complete the process following the resignation of former president Mohammed Shahabuddin.
"According to Article 123(2) of the Constitution, a new president must be elected within 90 days of the president's resignation. We have time until October 24. Therefore, there is no situation to call a special session," Asaduzzaman said.
"Since our next session is scheduled to be held within 60 days from July 15, I hope it will be possible to solve this in that session," he added.
He also said legal issues related to former president Shahabuddin's tenure would be examined.
Regarding the Human Rights Commission Act and the Act on Redress and Prevention of Disappearances, the minister said both laws would be placed before the Cabinet after further scrutiny.
"There has been a misinterpretation that we did not raise these two laws in parliament because we were not going to pass them," he said.
"Among the 133 ordinances that we brought regarding the Human Rights Commission Act, we said that we would bring it after further scrutiny. We have also made a public statement that the Act on the Redress and Prevention of Disappearances would be brought after further review," he added.
Asaduzzaman said the government held discussions with civil society, law enforcement agencies and development partners while finalising the drafts. He said public opinions received through the government website had also been considered.
"We have tried to incorporate the recommendations as much as possible, and there are opportunities for the parliamentary committee on the law ministry to scrutinise it," he said.
The minister claimed that extrajudicial killings had almost come to an end under the current government and allegations of enforced disappearances were being addressed with zero tolerance.
"When an allegation of disappearance came, we took it very seriously. There needs to be a very transparent investigation, and at the same time, we have done what we can to stand up for the families," he said.
Referring to judicial reforms, he said around 1,400 judges of subordinate courts were transferred between September and December last year.
"The judiciary could not move away from the position it had before the July uprising," he said, adding that some judges who had given "prize postings" in the past were not approved for transfer by the Supreme Court.
"If you think the government controls it, I will humbly say that it is not the government's business. When the government installs party cadres and a judge cannot stand with his spine straight, that is when the judiciary falls on its face," he said.
The minister said transparent appointments and qualified judges were essential for establishing an independent judiciary.
"The dream of an independent and transparent judiciary cannot be achieved by just putting it on paper," he added.
On political cases, Asaduzzaman said the government had decided to withdraw cases filed between 2009 and 2024, but rape cases would not be withdrawn for political reasons.
"Rape cases will not be withdrawn due to political considerations," he said, adding that caution would also be maintained in reviewing drug-related cases.
Participating in the same event, Chief Prosecutor of the International Crimes Tribunal said the report on the Shapla Chattar murder case would be submitted and the trial process would begin from Monday.